World mental health day has come and has gone, but we must be reminded that actions geared towards prevention continue.
We have brought the information provided by the World Health Organization on suicide prevention [a brief summary] to you in one article.
“Every 40 seconds someone loses their life to suicide”
World mental health day is set aside by the world health organization to create awareness on the causes, symptoms and prevention of mental illnesses with the aid of campaigns, seminars and a host of other activities.
This year, they are focused on suicide prevention, the world suicide day has been contributing its quota for more than 15 years to the war against suicide.
World suicide day is a day that employs everyone from every sphere of life to join this call to spread the good news of life by sharing important information about the prevention of suicide.
This day, we all are employed to take 40 seconds of action to help:
“Suicides are preventable”
• Improve awareness of the significance of suicide as a global public health problem.
• Improve knowledge of what can be done to prevent suicide
• Reduce the stigma associated with suicide; and
• Let people who are struggling know that they are not alone.
“A prior suicide attempt is an important risk factor for suicide”
The world health organisation came up with the following ideas that can help in the prevention of suicide, your 40 seconds contribution:
• If you are struggling, take 40 seconds to kickstart a conversation with someone you trust about how you are feeling.
• If you know someone who has lost a loved one to suicide, take 40 seconds to start a conversation and ask them how they are doing.
• If you work in media, highlight the 40 – second statistic in interviews, articles and blog spots.
• If you work in the arts or on digital platforms, interrupt your production or broadcast to transmit a 40-second message about mental health or preventing suicide.
• If you are an employer or manager, take 40 seconds to formulate a positive message of support to your employees about resources available to them in the workplace or local community in times of mental distress.
• If you want your leaders to hear your request for action, record a 40 – second audio clip or video telling them the action you want them to take on suicide prevention and mental health.
• If you have a platform for communicating with a large audience (social media, television, radio), provide 40-second slots for sharing mental health stories and messages.
• If you hold political office, communicate publicly about the action you are taking to promote mental health and prevent suicide, highlighting the 40 – second statistic.
“Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15 – 29 year – olds.”
In what ways do you think you can be part of this campaign? Either privately or publicly, using your social media handles to spread information on the effects of suicide or any other effective means.
Suicide without an iota of doubt is a very serious public health problem, that affects people of all ages and socio-economic class.
The venom produced by this hidden viper, gradually drains the life of its victim, until the last drop of blood.
Suicide prevention is a vital aspect of mental health that needs to be given very close attention.
“Suicide affects people of all age groups in all countries.”
We are encouraged to join this fight, it is not just a world mental day occasion, it is something we must take into consideration every day of our lives. While ensuring we are mentally healthy, we must also make sure others around us are also within the healthy circle.
Ayinla Daniel Rn
Dustin Belt @Unsplash.
Dan Meyer @Unsplash.
Inspired to do more.